Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Missing, Not Missing Piece Daily Reflection #6






My Mom was a jigsaw puzzle lover and so is her granddaughter and now her great granddaughters. Mom always told us to buy puzzles at tag sales to save money from buying them new. The only problem with that is there could be pieces missing. Kind puzzle people--rabbit trail ahead--what are they called? puzzle solvers, puzzle people, puzzle doers, puzzlers? Google informs me that they are called dissectologists--back to my original thoughts--Kind dissectologists often put on the box "1 piece missing or 2 pieces missing". Some cool looking puzzles I would think would still be fun to do, but if it said that, Mom didn't want it. I guess she couldn't stand the incompleteness. 

I bought this puzzle at a tag sale for my daughter. I love the notations on the box. Darn, one piece missing on this cool puzzle, but wait, here's another note, "found it!" and "not" added to clarify. If I didn't know the person who I bought it from, the picture of the puzzle sure gives a clue as to why the piece was missing--most likely a dissectologist who was also an ailurophile (showing off my rabbit trail skills--a cat lover). I would wager that a cat had something to do with the missing piece. Pretty good detective skills, right?

999 pieces and one was missing. I'm sure this dissectologist looked under the table, in the box, under other furniture and in all corners of the room. 999 is a lot of pieces but what joy when she found that one missing piece. The puzzle was complete. It reminds me of one of my favorite parables of the lost sheep. Jesus, the good shepherd, will leave the 99 to look for 1. Jesus doesn't want any puzzle pieces missing or left behind--that includes you and me. How comforting is that? 

"It a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about the one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish."

Matthew 13:10-14






No comments:

Post a Comment