Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Kind words: The best medicine Daily Reflection #12

Before I move on in my posts about our next home, I wanted to touch on an incident that happened a couple of months before we moved from Norfolk. Our daughter, Tiffany, left our first home with one less body part. That should have gotten your attention.

Tiffany was five years old and had a fever and stomachache. I took her to the pediatrician and they said it was the flu or some kind of virus. I don't remember what. When she didn't get better in a couple of days, I called back the office and the office person told me that these bugs take time, it will pass. I wasn't pleased with the answer, but I didn't know to question or push the staff.

I can clearly remember the day when we said, "Enough is enough" and I remember George scooping her up and carrying her to the car. We took her to the emergency room on Spencer Street in Winsted. We saw as she laid on the table and the doctor brought her knee up to her chest and she reacted in pain. I remember her pediatrician had done the same thing, but because she reacted in pain with both sides, he disregarded it as being her appendix.

It was close to rupturing, and they took her into surgery immediately. We couldn't believe a five-year-old having appendicitis but so grateful to God that we got her there in time. 

The Winsted Hospital was downsizing and no longer had a pediatrics department. Therefore, Tiffany was the only child in the hospital at that time and I truly think some of the staff didn't know how to work with children. She was in there for eight days. and I went to visit her every day after my morning shift at the post office. I may have visited again in the afternoon after my afternoon shift, I don't remember, but however often I went, there was someone on the hospital staff that thought it was too much. She reprimanded me for coming so often (and often bringing her a little toy--remember too, that this hospital was not equipped for children). She told me that I was spoiling her and because of my visits and gifts, Tiffany was enjoying the attention and was not trying to get well. I think her part of trying to get well was walking the hall every day. I can't imagine a child wanting to be there. 

When that nurse told me that, I broke down in tears. We had almost lost our child and I was being told I was spoiling her and hindering her getting well. I remember being in the hallway crying. I also remember Susan Forsyth, a nurse who lived in East Hartland (a customer at the post office where I worked), came and comforted me. I have never forgotten her kindness and I did tell her that much later. I needed that so much at that time. 

The greatest lesson I learned from this, is to keep questioning the medical staff if you know something is not right. We have to be an advocate for others in their pain and struggles and additionally, Susan was the medicine I needed for my hurting heart. You never know how powerful your words can be. I don't remember what she said, but that she took the time to say it and comfort me. Spread kind words. How true this verse is: "Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24. Amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment