Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Elephants Reflection #15


We always associate elephants with my Mom. Different people choose to collect different things. I used to collect lighthouses because I have always been drawn to the majestic symbols of protection and guidance especially along the ocean shores. My mother-in-law collected spoons. I assume she began that because they were something easy to find at many tourist attractions. Not only did she buy them, but her family members bought them for her. That's what happens when you start collecting something. People know it is something they can buy for you and the collections grow and grow. I don't know how, but George ended up with a keychain collection. I had another attraction to bookends too. Some people collect their favorite animal, some salt and pepper shakers, the list is never ending. There is no shortage of fun things to collect.

My Mom had a collection of elephants, but I never knew if it was because they were her favorite animal or if she was forced into it. I do know she did have an elephant Christmas ornament that she loved. I don't know the history of how she got it, I just know when it was accidently broken on Christmas, she let it be known that she was disappointed. My Mom rarely cried and she didn't at this time, but she did remind my father numerous times that Christmas and a year or two afterwards, "You broke my elephant," with a pouty face. I don't know if it was an over exaggerated expression teasing us, or if she was really hurt about the loss of this elephant. I wonder if it was a gift from her mother who had passed. I believe it probably had a personal sentimental memory for her. 

Well, that is how it all started. Dad and I forever tried to make up for the accident by buying her elephants time after time for any holiday. In retrospect, it's too bad I never asked her if she did love elephants or just accepted her fate. She never refused any we bought her or said anything negative. I hope we made sufficient amends for her loss however, if the original elephant was a sentimental possession, she must have just let those feelings go. She forgave. 

The funny thing about identifying one with their collections, is that the memory lives on after they are gone. I always think of my Mom when I see elephants and so does my family.

After she passed, my Dad would use her money to treat the kids and grandkids to an amusement park once a year. One year, my 2nd grandson won a stuffed elephant and he sweetly gave it to me. Whenever we go on vacation, I will often buy a Christmas ornament as a reminder. When we saw the Ark, it was obvious to me to get the elephant ornament. 

My Dad treated the family to Disney World a few years after Mom had passed. We all were sitting, watching one of the amazing performances, There were four different places that characters entered the circular stage. I think I wasn't the only one who became teary when the enormous elephant entered the stage at the entrance nearest us. 

Although she was sad when her first elephant broke and she did let us clearly know her sadness, I don't know if she truly "got over it". I don't know the reason for her attachment, but what I do feel is that she forgave. She knew we were so sad for her and always tried to make amends for the accident. It didn't happen immediately and my Mom did have a memory like an elephant (!) but she forgave.

I am glad that God is not like us. He will not remember our past broken elephants when we ask for forgiveness. He is capable of remembering but he does not. As far as he is concerned, we are forgiven, it is forgotten, and we don't have to keep buying more elephants to make things right. He forgives us simply for saying we are sorry. Isn't that great? 

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I John 1:9








No comments:

Post a Comment