Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Worth quoting Reflection #23

I think it starts early...the familiar quotes we like to repeat, "What's up doc?", "I twat I twa a puddy cat!?", "Suffering succotash." From cartoons to books, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...", "To be or not to be, that is the question", (side note as an only child with time on my hands in the summer months, I memorized that soliloquy for the fun of it), "Call me Ishmael", "Quoth, the raven, nevermore." etc. Songs always leave us with words that we easily commit to memory and cherish in our hearts. And of course, there are movie quotes: "Show me the money!", "You had me at hello.", "E.T. phone home", "My Captain, My Captain", and on and on. They all invoke a fond memory of a special film. Do you have a favorite? Mine that still gives me goosebumps from Camelot referring to the young boy: "Now run Sir Tom, behind the lines." 

How easy it is for us to quote these words. It has been noted that there are many quotes that for some reason, we continually quote incorrectly, for example: "May the force be with you", was actually: "Remember the force will be with you always." I actually like the original quote better in that case. 

You might be surprised how many quotes you know by heart from the Bible without even realizing it. There are some of the commandments like "Thou shalt not kill." "Thou shalt not steal." There is the golden rule, "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Is there anyone who does not recognize, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want"? Or how many weddings have you been to that quote: "Love is patient, love is kind...". There are so many verses worth quoting in the Bible and some of us do try to memorize some ("thy word have I hid in my heart"). The heart of the Bible is "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Like the movie quotes, sometimes we may not get the words 100% accurate, but as long as we get the gist and don't change the meaning, it is good to recall these words as easily and meaningfully as movie or book quotes. My life verse is found in Colossians 3:23, 24. The picture is of a plaque I have in my bedroom to remind me of how to focus my thoughts. Even my shower curtain is decorated with Bible verses on it. May you have Bible quotes that give you comfort and guidance that easily come to mind and if you don't with some research online, you can find some awesome ones. 

I leave you with God's word: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." 2 Timothy 3:16.

No comments:

Post a Comment