Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Feathered Friends Reflection #25



My parents loved birds and had a long wooden bird feeder outside their sunroom windows. The windows cranked open and they did their best to keep it constantly well-stocked with wild bird seed and the coveted sunflower seeds which always went first.

They always enjoyed the variety of birds who came to their "restaurant" and purchased a book to identify the new patrons. This live action entertainment never ceased to bring enjoyment. It was exciting to see a new visitor and to research the identity. 

My mom's brother lived with us for a while. Uncle Jack was 10 years older than me, and I loved having him live with us (except when I had to wake him--he was so grouchy!) I always remember the day we shared a secret for a couple of minutes. Mom was out on the deck and heard a bird and she echoed his sound. He chirped back. She did too and so did he. This went on several times until I realized that Uncle Jack was the mysterious bird calling back. He motioned me to "not let the cat out of the bag". It went on for a couple of minutes this way, a truly remarkable moment for mom until she finally caught on. She gave him a punch in the arm for teasing her as we laughed. 

My parents had cats and dogs over the years and the dogs were so special to them. Then one day, a neighbor wanted to thank them for all they did and gave my parents a bird. This broke two of my Mom's cardinal rules (pun intended). She said you never give a person a pet for a gift. It is a lifelong commitment, and the person should make that decision themself. One of her other gift giving rules was don't ever give anything that will cost a person more--like buying them a cell phone, for instance, because they would now have a monthly bill. Both are wise rules and this broke both of those rules. 

I guess some rules are ok to be broken. Much as my parents loved watching the wild birds, they never thought about having a pet bird...until the first one. They loved those pet birds over the years. They let them fly free around the house until bedtime. One sat on my Dad's shoulder when he played the piano. They even took them--cages and all--to Cape Cod on vacation. One year my Mom broke her hip while on vacation at the Cape and had to go to the hospital and rehab there. Their rental week was over at the house and Dad had to find a motel that would accept birds.
It also was always a family tradition when arriving or leaving the Cape, to stop and feed the ducks at the pond in East Sandwich, MA. And of course, the seagulls did not lack attention too.






Another bird they loved was "Homer", a goose at Stanley Park in Westfield where they used to go for walks. Back in those days people did not frown upon giving bread to the ducks and geese and they would buy day old bread precisely for feeding birds. When they arrived, Dad would call for Homer and he would come running over to them. Homer walked with Dad all the while they were there.

Birds were an important part in my parents' lives and God must feel the same way about all the birds he created in different colors, shapes, sizes and with different birdsongs. Birds are mentioned in the bible nearly 300 times. I am sure God was pleased with my parents' love and tender care for birds. I leave you with God's word: "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows" Luke 12:6-7.











Birds at the Cape Cod house.










No comments:

Post a Comment