Monday, June 17, 2024

Food Shows Reflection #27

Long ago, there used to be these venues called Food Shows. I think Big Y was the sponsor of most of them. They would be held at large facilities like convention centers and it would be filled with mostly booths of free samples of food. Some you ate little bites there, other prepackaged samples you could take home. There were some items you could buy there, but not many. You could also get a lot of coupons, which I was into at that time and recipes.

You could have a meal on the free samples, and it was fun going from a new chicken nugget to a bite of ham, a piece of cheese, a small piece of cake or tiny taste of ice cream and on and on. I cannot begin to remember all the various foods they had and I'm surprised our stomachs didn't reject all the mixed-up choices we ate!

It was a wandering buffet, and we had a good time. Now it did get a little chaotic at times as some people wandered from one booth and skipped others and then went to a different booth seeming to cut in front of those stopping at everything. There were pet food or baby food booths, that some would obviously skip over. It added a little confusion as people slipped in and out of the unofficial line. For the most part everyone was polite but it was difficult for people with strollers to navigate the unruliness.

I said for the most part people were polite. I remember an incident when I may have been considered "cutting in line" or maybe these older teenage girls were trying to get in front of me. Those details I don't really remember, but I do remember the one who said, "Let fatty go," referring to me. Ouch. I didn't say a word. The words hurt. It was no secret to me that I was overweight, but to be referred to like that was pretty cruel and hurtful. 

I don't remember how long those words echoed in my head and continued to cause pain. It did hurt for a while, and I never told George or anyone about it (until now). I did eventually forget all about it. As we were talking about the food shows and remembering, as we always do, a funny incident that happened, this buried memory also resurfaced. I am glad to say, it doesn't hurt any more. It's too bad her words didn't motivate me to lose weight, but such things often have an opposite effect. I wonder how that girl turned out. I could picture her the type to suffer from road rage. I hope she learned to be kinder as life went on. 

I have two applications to God's word in my food show memories. For this part, I am glad that memory was buried, and I am so thankful that God does the same for us. When we ask for forgiveness, our sins are buried and forgotten. He will not ever dig them up again. "For I will be merciful to their iniquities, and their sins will I remember no more." Hebrews 8:12

I will leave on the funnier memory of food shows. I have to say that most of the sample size foods you could just pop in your mouth. Sometimes a toothpick was holding it and there was a place to dispose of them. The kids were with us at this particular food show, and they were familiar with fruit roll ups. For those of you who are not, they are a thin layer of a fruit flavored snack rolled up in plastic to keep it from sticking together, hence called fruit roll-ups. Kids knew how to unroll the plastic to eat the treat. Kids knew. Moms knew. 

These roll-ups had been cut into smaller sample sizes. Not being aware of how to eat a roll-up, George popped the whole thing in his mouth! We were not aware of this, and one of our kids asked him, "How did you like the fruit roll-up?" He replied, "It was ok, but kind of plasticky tasting." Of course, they told him he was supposed to take the plastic off while laughing hysterically--a simple moment at the food show turned into a lasting fun family memory to bring to mind at times and still makes us laugh years later. George will even joke when he doesn't like the taste of something, "It tastes like plastic" to bring a smile and sharing a secret memory. I wonder, though, if people eating plastic was why they stopped having food shows. 

My application to this would be to remind you that you can have a Bible, but you get so much more out of it if you take the plastic off and open it up and read it. You might find a fruit flavor that you enjoy. Leaving you with God's word:  "But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:2.



No comments:

Post a Comment