Friday, July 5, 2024

Standing Firm Reflection #30




This past week we saw the power of lightning. Out of our sunroom window, I saw fire in mid-air. Later I learned that it was a piece of bark that was on fire. Thankfully the rain put it out. 

The next day after the storm, we investigated the incident. I found pieces of bark throughout the yard. Some carried by the wind, I presume, others rocketed by the force of lightning which had hit a tall tree in our backyard. It was quite impressive to see the tree stripped of a huge section of bark. After more investigation in the next couple of days with family members, not only did we find another nearby tree that was hit, but also trenches leading away (or to, we are not sure) the tree trunks. One side of one tree was burned and the other side had the bark blown off in a strip like the other tree.

This all led us to educational moments, not only for ourselves, but to teach our grandchildren. We researched online and I couldn't believe to read that lightning can heat up the air to five times hotter than the sun. It really is unfathomable to me. When the lightning strikes a tree, it vaporizes any water or sap in the tree, thus exploding or stripping the bark off the tree. It is fascinating and scary. I have a new respect for lightning. Not only were the trees injured, but we lost a TV, internet modem, well water panel and an outside motion detector light.

Before I took the grandchildren to see the tree, I asked them, "What do you think a tree hit by lightning looks like?" They said burnt up, fallen down. I told them I would think that too, then had them follow the trail of bark pieces to the tree.

In our studies, I read the tree may not be dead. It may be able to survive this injury. It does expose it to the elements, bugs and disease, but it could still stand. It's amazing to us that those two trees are standing despite their trauma.

And that is life. For some, life's traumas can just ruin them. They are struck down. For others the devastating blow is painful, and scarring. It is something they are now going to have to live with. The world sees this tree's scars but for some people the scarring is just on the inside. They keep their pain to themselves unbeknownst to others. They have to fight off the "insects" of self-defeat and pity that can eat away at them. I hope when lightning strikes that you can stand tall despite your scars exposed to the world or those that are hidden. May you find the strength and healing to stand firm. 

I leave you with God's word: "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong." 

I Corinthians 16:13


No comments:

Post a Comment