Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Enthusiasm Reflection # 31



My parents used to hire neighbor kids from one family to shovel their snow. They were extremely polite and well-behaved. As the kids got older, they weren't always available and so the job was passed on to the younger ones. 

I remember my parents relating this incident. Evidently the youngest sibling was recruited to help for the first time. She was probably about eight years old. She was so excited, "I've never had a job before. This is my first job!"

My father watched as she loaded the shovel and then walked ten feet across the driveway to dump it. She kept doing that until my Dad couldn't bear to watch any more. He showed her an easier way, knowing if she continued the way she was, it would become nighttime before she finished. All the while she was shoveling, she kept asking, "Am I doing a good job, Mr. Casey? Am I doing good?" He assured her she was.

After a while she commented, "This is hard work," and quickly added, "but I love it!" Her final comment came, I'm sure after my dad paid her (and he is always generous), "This is the best day of my life!"

What enthusiasm! If only we could all have such enthusiasm in life. So many lessons in this: She was willing to work and to work hard without complaining. She was open to being taught a better way to work. She chose optimism in every load she shoveled. She also looked for affirmation that she was doing a good job. She was rewarded, though something tells me, she would have been happy even if she was not. The reward was the cherry on top. 

It is easier to be that way when you are starting a new task. As time goes on, things can get weary. When I find myself dreading daily drudgery, I try to remind myself of Colossians 3:23, 24 "Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance, for you serve the Lord Christ." 

On days of struggle, I hope God will bring to mind this special little girl and her wonderful mindset to encourage me and I hope that God will generously reward me too, just as my Dad did for this little girl. I wish the same for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment